Saturday, May 21, 2011

Another Start...

As some of you may know I have a 20 year old autistic son who sometimes has trouble sleeping. When he is up at night he enjoys bouncing on an exercise ball. The only problem with this is he has ripped every pair of pajama bottoms he owns.


His school teachers have told me that he seems to like deep pressure. That means he seems to settle down when he feels pressure on his body, something like a big hug. I decided to make him a weighted blanket. To purchase one it is very expensive so I am going to re-purpose his pj bottoms for this project. I found a Scrappy Trips Around the World block at Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville and thought this would be a perfect pattern for this quilt. For this quilt I am going to make 24 blocks using 2.5 inch strips from his pj bottoms and solid/tone on tone 2.5 inch strips from the scraps I just finished cutting and sorting. I am going to back it with denim from jeans that I have been saving. This isn't the way some weighted blankets are made but I hope this will be heavy enough for my son and it will be machine washable as well.


These blocks are the four I made last night. With the other blocks I have been working on that brings my total to 16 leaving only 8 more to make before I can assemble the quilt top.

No comments:

Post a Comment